[rescue] TCF Pricing Help Sought

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 25 00:33:13 CDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>> 17" Apple Studio Monitor ADC (I have three)
>> maybe $25?  ADC means it works great with the G4 towers.
>
> What precisely is ADC?

It's an Apple-specific display connector that routes video (via DVI),
display power, and USB over a single cable.  Dell and HP (and probably
others) did something similar through the VESA EVC connector, except
thet didn't try to power the display from the bus, too.

That last bit (a bit of held-over NeXT nonsense, I suppose) made ADC a
real pain.  Apple systems during that timeframe didn't use ATX power
supplies.  The blue-and-white G3 and early G4s could be fitted with ATX
supplies, provided you were good with a Dremel.  However, since ADC
demands a 25VDC bus (at rather substantial current), an ATX supply won't
DTRT.  Also, this obviously means that any ADC-equipped video cards need
an extra connector on the motherboard behind the AGP slot.

The -idea- was nice, but the real world just didn't work in Apple's
favor.  Folks who wanted two displays were especially left out in the
cold.

Supposedly Apple's current displays use a one-cable connection, as well,
but I suppose it's just a octopus-style cable with a common connector at
the display end, and DVI/USB/Firewire/power at the service end.  I'll
find out this week, if Apple gets my new display to me when they said
the would. :)

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "If we keep our pride, though paradise is lost, we
Elgin, TX        (   will pay the price, but we cannot count the cost."