[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Apr 24 06:41:09 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:03:44AM +0200, Clemson, Chris wrote:
[...]
> Have you actually tried putting DIMMS or PCI cards into a cheap PC
> motherboard? Disturbingly, sometimes brute force is needed.

Indeed, mooli.org.uk has had a chunk cut out of a Molex power connector
feeding its RAID array because it fouled one of the DIMM slots. Similarly,
my home fileserver has had to have similar treatment on its SATA port
because it's fouled by actually putting a hard disk rather than a floppy
drive in the second drive bay.

PC manufacturers seem to come from the "Design? We've heard of it" school of
thought.