[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:08:02 CDT 2007

ron wrote:

> ...the connectors have jack screws to extract and install the
> mating half of the connector and i presume that there is a
> close limit of the torque required to make a reliable connection
> and enough to destroy the connector...

   Right you are!

> ...so they provide a torque wrench (of sorts) if you don't have
> the professional tool to do it.

   Or, in a 420R, if you just use a screw driver, you can actually rip
the metal sleeve for the screw clear off the memory riser. There's two
of them, you know, and I was suprised to learn that the difficulty of
finding multiple objects that are loose inside a computer rises with the
_square_ of the quantity of broken parts, not linearly. Who knew?

   Grrrr.....

   I will be retiring that 420R from production as Sun puts it out to
EOSL pasture, but its never really been Right In The Head since the tech
performed his radical lobotomy on it and the we got all the guts
swapped.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt