[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Apr 19 02:49:18 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:32:47 -0400
Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> I've accidentally mangled one or two of those before I figure out how
> to  properly install a CPU into an Ultra 5... but they are actually
> possible to fix, as long as you don't manage to break any pins off, at
> least.
You can replace single pins in the US IIi CPU connector. Once I got a US
IIi with dead cache and one with broken pins on the connector. I
transplanted intact pins from the broken CPU into the connector of the
working CPU. The resulting "Franken 5" served me as my primary router
for years and is still in occational use.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen