[rescue] Sun Ultra 60 pricing

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 22 14:20:08 CDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:59:37 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
<shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Here is my problem with the Ultra 2: SCSI bandwidth.
>
> The CPUs actually handle most of my server duty without issue.  The
> primary problem is the dismal 20MB/sec SCSI speed.
>
> I was thinking the U60 might be better in that regard.

It's a little better: its SCSI controller is 40 MB/sec.  I've pretty much
resigned myself to the fact that this is about as fast as I'm going to get
in a cheap SPARC box being sold off by somebody.  I don't know what the
going price for a Blade 1000 would be, but it's most likely not under $300.

FWIW, I picked up my Ultra 60 for $125 from a recycler in the area (you
know, those people we love to hate because they get all the castoffs from
the local companies).  System banner:

Sun Ultra 60 UPA/PCI (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.31, 768 MB memory installed, Serial #XXXXXXXX.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: 80XXXXXX.

He gave it to me with that (he said they initially had 256 MB of RAM, but
he'd throw in four sticks of unknown size; they turned out to be 4 x 128
MB!).  He also gave me a 9 GB SCA drive from a Compaq, which angered the
Solaris 10 installer; I picked up a couple of 73 GB Seagates in the hopes
that I can do something serious with this thing.  When running Solaris 10,
it has a bit more kick than my Ultra 2 (2 x 300 MHz USII, 640 MB RAM).  It
also has an Elite3D framebuffer, but I still need to get a 13W3 to VGA15
trapezoid to see if my flat panel can sync to its output.