[rescue] Sun Ultra 60 pricing

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 22 11:59:37 CDT 2006

Thu, 21 Sep 2006 @ 17:29 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >People like anysystem.com want even more for this stuff.  They still
> >charge $200 for a U2.
>
> If your looking for a U2...
>
> Seriously, the real market is in getting the machines where they are
> not (i.e. I think Anysystem.com sells a lot of hardware overseas,
> where UltraSPARC anything might be veryhard to find.

Understood.

> The Ultra 60 is a heavy box, so the $40 shipping may be reasonable
> (but off the top of my head it seems high), and if $140 is too high,
> it probably isn't more than, say, $140 too high ;^)

True... if it does the job, it will make much more than $140 for me.

The Ultra2 I got for $80 three months ago paid for itself about 3 days
after it arrived on my doorstop, or during its first 3 hours of runtime.

Still, money is tight so I try to maximize what I get.

> If you are going to run it headless, a U2 would probably be very VERY
> similar, but if you want graphics, the vertical UPA framebuffers
> (Creator/Elite) make the Ultra 60 still a reasonable system.

Here is my problem with the Ultra 2: SCSI bandwidth.

The CPUs actually handle most of my server duty without issue.  The
primary problem is the dismal 20MB/sec SCSI speed.

I was thinking the U60 might be better in that regard.

> I have Ultra 2 bases available for pennies over actual shipping cost -
> the number of pennies is a function of the type of CPUs desired...

I might talk about that with you later.

I still have an SS5 running that is getting rather old, and might be
replaced soon.  A U2 would likely be a decent replacement for its work.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]