[rescue] Sun Ultra 60 pricing

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 21 17:29:21 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/09/21 Thu PM 05:15:23 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun Ultra 60 pricing

>Thu, 21 Sep 2006 @ 17:24 -0400, Aaron Finley said:
>
>> On 9/21/06, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>> > Sounds high, actually.  But maybe I am wrong.

>> I believe you can get a similarly speced Ultra 80 for less than that.
>
>Where do you guys find stuff like this?
>
>I can't find a U80 in good condition with 4 CPUs for under $300
>anywhere.
>
>> I've seen Ultra 60s in that config go for $50-100 tops.
>
>Yeah, I thought it might be high.
>
>Of course, I'm not finding U60s really cheap either right now.
>
>People like anysystem.com want even more for this stuff.  They still
>charge $200 for a U2.

If your looking for a U2...

Seriously, the real market is in getting the machines where they are not (i.e. I think Anysystem.com sells a lot of hardware overseas, where UltraSPARC anything might be veryhard to find.

The Ultra 60 is a heavy box, so the $40 shipping may be reasonable (but off the top of my head it seems high), and if $140 is too high, it probably isn't more than, say, $140 too high ;^)

If you are going to run it headless, a U2 would probably be very VERY similar, but if you want graphics, the vertical UPA framebuffers (Creator/Elite) make the Ultra 60 still a reasonable system.

I have Ultra 2 bases available for pennies over actual shipping cost - the number of pennies is a function of the type of CPUs desired...

Lionel