[rescue] Dual headed U10

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 7 16:43:00 CDT 2006

Wed, 23 Aug 2006 @ 13:50 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I like CRTs better, but I already have issues with room and heat, so my
> > next screen will probably be LCD.  My Sony 400PS is 8 years old now, and
> > needs to be replaced soon.
>
> I use a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u.  I have not seen an LCD that
> approaches its resolution or color saturation.  Plus, getting an LCD
> that size will be an expensive proposition.

True, although they are much cheaper now.

I can get a 1920x1200 widescreen LCD for $750, less than I originally
paid for my 19" Sony 400PS.  The Sony 8 years ago was almost $900.

I know that Tiger sells refurbed CRT monitors that are supposed to be
pretty good at 1920xsomething, and they are under $100.  They are
Trinitron tubes so they should be pretty decent.

Most of the LCDs I see have better color saturation than my Sony, which
is supposed to be pretty good.

One thing with LCDs is that usually you have to pick refresh speed or
good color.  LCDs with both are more expensive.

For example: you can get a very fast 20" LCD 1600x1200 for under $400.
Getting the same speed but also with better color is around $700, or you
can sacrifice speed and get good color for about $450.

Prices vary of course, but you get the idea.

I hate to buy another CRT, because to get higher resolution like I would
like to have, means an even heavier and hotter CRT, and I'm not sure I
want to do that.

Given the prices though, it is tempting to just do it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in