[rescue] speaking of WEP

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 6 21:12:21 CDT 2006

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2006/09/06 Wed PM 03:51:59 CDT
>To: Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>, The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] speaking of WEP

>My next door neighbor tried to get a WLAN installed and the guy could not
>get two computers to communicate even if they were next to each other.

Proximity <> properly configured ;^)

>He had no trouble picking up my network, I announce the SSID. I offered to
>let her try a laptop, but she said she had just given up.

(Years ago) when I first set up my WiFi network at home, the ontly thing that worked was to set the SSID to "101" and turn everything else off. It seemed that at the time the entries were case sensitive, but didn't display properly (entered lowercase displayed as upper case, much like "workgroup" names in MS operating systems).

Lionel