[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Thu Oct 26 21:35:18 CDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> Another thing that sort of bugs me, is "mission critical." Have you
> encountered cases where when you step back, Mission Critical isn't?
Before answering, my personal definitions for true "Mission Critical"
are these:
Mission Critical: If it fails, it will be front page news and it
won't be good.
Mission Critical: If it fails, people will be dead and the lawyers
will be lining up around the block.
Mission Critical: If it fails, you will personally have to appear
before a full Congressional oversight committee with C-SPAN and every
news service filming. There will be bonus points if it preempts soap
operas, game shows, or sport events.
Mission Critical: If it fails, we have created an international
incident or inadvertently committed an act of war or treason.

I've run into a lot of situations at work where some dingbat has
stated that their pet application, workstation, or flowerpot was
mission critical.  My response has been to recite my four definitions
for "Mission Critical" with my eyes glaring and ready to assume a
barbarian charge. The usual answer is a frightened "no."

Nothing says ego-deflation like seeing a director realize that maybe
he or she is not a high god.

-Andy Wallis