[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:52:58 CDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> Linux has a decent amount of features that make it useful.  Myself, I
> prefer Solaris mainly because the apps I use are multi-threaded and
> Linux has been mucking around with the thread implementation and
> causing me grief.

Solaris is not perfect, but I know where the issues are, and know how
to work around them, and everything pretty much works.  With Linux, I
spend far more time hunting down the answers when I have problems due
to the sheer volume of crap info vs. good info, sifting for proper
distro, etc.

Never underestimate the power of known vs. unknown when you are called
at 0200 for that "mission critical" box.

If you have a large datacenter and have built the infrastructure to be
able to swap out any broken machine and have things keep running along
without a glitch, more power to you, your penguins, and your
pocketbook.  But most IT shops are not built like that.  They start
out as these tiny flower beds and morph into full-blown gardens
without any real regard for sanity and structure.  In a situation
where there's 1-5 admins and they are dealing with a mish-mash of
systems, apps, and infrastructure and the concommitant legacy kludges,
the admins are going to be a hell of a lot more sane in a Solaris
shop, imho.

Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> Tell that to Sun, as lots of Sun shops migrate to Linux + Oracle on Dell &
> HP.

Sun, as usual, isn't marketing their hardware and software well.  The
ease of use for patching and updates is not obvious even to most
long-time Solaris admins--their new patching stuff just works and
requires no downtime except for kernel patches.  This could be a huge
win if they just got out there and proselytized like they did with
Jumpstart.  And they haven't properly advertised their low-barrier to
entry (i.e prices better than Dell) for x86 Solaris, either.

=Nadine=