[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 25 16:47:01 CDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:56:03 -0400
Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >
> > Just for example, Linux is the OS for the Cray XD1 supercomputer,
> > supporting 144 CPUs in a clustered architecture layered on top of
> > Infiniband and HyperTransport.
>
> This doesn't count at all.  This is basically a fancy Beowulf
> cluster in a few cabinets... the XD1 is an Opteron box which for
> arch compatibility is x86.

No, it isn't.

The machine might well boot with x86 kernels, but it certainly will not
run properly.

> If you were talking about either the Cray XT3 or X1E (UNICOS/mp
> UNICOS/lc) then you'd have something.

Not necessary.

Linux kernel 2.6 moved to sub architectures almost three years ago and
has no problems going outside of PC architecture.

It runs on quite a few machines, and runs well, that are nothing like a
PC.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Don't you see that the whole aim of
Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make