[rescue] fwd: vintage sun/hp/sgi in the cambridge area

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Oct 15 18:57:10 CDT 2006

from a foaf - passing it on...  anyone interested?

" On 10/14/06, Matt Fredette <fredette at theory.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
" >
" > Available for pickup in Belmont or I can deliver local to
" > Cambridge/Boston/etc.
" >
" > The good:
" >
" > An SGI Indy.  IP22, 100MHz R4600 with FPU, no L2, 64MB RAM.  GR3-XZ
" > graphics, Iris audio.  Includes keyboard and mouse.  Boots to monitor,
" > disk seems wiped.
" >
" > The bad:
" >
" > An HP Visualize C180.  A 64-bit PA-RISC system, looks nice, I think Linux
" > will run on this.  I couldn't get anything out of the serial console, and
" > the LEDs on the front might show a memory error.
" >
" > A couple of smallish desktop ISA PCs.  Worked the last time I powered
" > them up a few years ago.  No HDs or IDE controllers, I think 8MB RAM
" > each, Ethernet cards.
" >
" > The ugly:
" >
" > An HP 9000/310 system.  This is an m68010, not a PA-RISC box.  System
" > unit has CPU board and a second HP-IB interface.  Has some kind of
" > composite video output, comes with keyboard.  The badge on the drive
" > unit says 9153C.  Don't know if this works.
" >
" > SPARCstation 1+ with 8MB RAM, no video, no HD, no keyboard.  Nothing
" > comes out of the serial console, so it's probably broken.
" >
" > One Sun external SCSI HD + QIC tape box.  Big, from the 1980's.  Has
" > the really big DA50 SCSI connectors on the back.  I don't know if
" > this works, but your sun3 wants to find out.
" >
" > Another 1980's SCSI HD + QIC tape box, not made by Sun but meant for
" > Suns.  This worked when I powered it up a few years ago.  Has a big
" > Interleaf badge on it - own a piece of Sun desktop publishing
" > history.
" >
" > A Cabletron Ethernet hub.  12 ports 10baseT, one port 10base2.  Claims
" > some kind of online management interface.  I don't know if this works.
" > Long ago used on MITnet, but you'll probably get kicked out of school
" > if you try that now.