[rescue] U60 "freezing" issue

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 15:26:27 CDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> >I have a U60 I rescued from the boneyard here at $ork.  I've been

I should have mentioned that "rescue" in this context meant to use on
my desk at work instead of $garbage_x86 box bequeathed to me...so no $
will be spent on it.

> 1) Open Case and inventory system - strip it down to minimal configuration (i.e. one
> bank RAM, no HD, no "extra" PCI/SBUS cards, etc.)

Aside from the extra RAM that we collected from the U30's that went to
surplus, it is indeed in that condition.

> 2) Blow canned air through the power supply, across the MB, and the interior of
> the case to clean it out, avoid heat-related issues.

Did some basic dusting--no canned air here (hell had to bring in my
own tools--have I mentioned I dislike working for $gov_agency?  You
know I haven't had a new machine at any workplace since 2001. Feh.)

> 3) Connect known good keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
Check.
> 4) Power up - if all looks good, you're done - time to build the machine up (replace
> RAM, add HDs, etc.)
Check.  PSU, etc. all spinning up as they should be.  It will sit at
OK for hours (days) and boot fine--but 5-10 min after booting, it
freezes.  I guess this should make me suspicious of RAM, but I'd
expect a kernel panic not a freeze.  Will trim it down to minimum RAM
and see what happens.  Again, it seems odd that it doesn't report any
errors from self-test run from PROM.  Anyone know if there's an equiv
of memtest for UltraSparc?

> 5) If it fails to power up, power off unit and power up again, holding down "stop-n"
> to reset NVRAM. - if all looks good you're done.

Tried that too after the initial issue with the jumpstart install.

Btw, good "reading between the lines" on the U60 listing & purchase.

=Nadine=