[rescue] U60 "freezing" issue

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 6 10:49:12 CDT 2006

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/10/06 Fri AM 08:33:23 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] U60 "freezing" issue

>I have a U60 I rescued from the boneyard here at $ork.  I've been
>trying to install an OS on it.  I was able to successfully start a
>jumpstart install, but about 30 minutes into the install, it threw:
>
>Watchdog Reset
>Externally initiated reset
>OK

Nadine,

I've been slogging though a bunch of older systems, and this is how I approach them, maybe it will help you:

1) Open Case and inventory system - strip it down to minimal configuration (i.e. one bank RAM, no HD, no "extra" PCI/SBUS cards, etc.)

2) Blow canned air through the power supply, across the MB, and the interior of the case to clean it out, avoid heat-related issues.

3) Connect known good keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

4) Power up - if all looks good, you're done - time to build the machine up (replace RAM, add HDs, etc.)

(key tests to lok for are PS fans coming on, as well as chassis fans, CD spin-up, on-board LEDs on MB light up, all lights on keyboard light up, then cycle on/off in (counter-clockwise?) succession)

5) If it fails to power up, power off unit and power up again, holding down "stop-n" to reset NVRAM. - if all looks good you're done.

6) If it still doesn't power up, review MB jumpers & ensure all match the CPU in use.

7) If it is really dead, ask me and I'll send you a replacement base. [0]

In your particular case, question your assumptions:

CPUs known good?
RAM known good?
PS known good?

I hope this helps,

Lionel

[0] I just "scored" on ebay an Ultra 60 w/dual 450s, 512 Meg RAM (or more), and an 18 Gig HD for just over $150 (shipped) - the price was dreadfully high, unless you also consider it had an XVR-600 framebuffer installed, a several hundred dollar option ;^) All I wanted was the framebuffer for my Sunblade 1000 8^P