[rescue] question about sparc10 ethernet controller

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 3 07:03:39 CDT 2006

>From: Arthur Wouk <awouk at nilenet.com>
>Date: 2006/10/02 Mon PM 04:49:56 CDT
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] question about sparc10 ethernet controller

>i still have three sparc10s sitting around (plus some spare bases with
>various problems.
>
>one of my 'good' ss10s fails the 'test net' test on boot. error code -1,
>no attached cable or network. the same network connection plugged into any
>other sun machines work just fine (same cable). i conclude that the ethernet
>controller is shot. anyone have any other ideas?

Sounds reasonable to me...

<snip>

>so,  is there a single chip which is the controller, and can i try to move
>one from my bases (none of which had ethernet connection problems)?

Why not swap MB and be done with it? Do you not have an idle SS/10?

>if not, is there a scsi card which will give me working ethernet for a
>sparc10? anyone have one?

I have several 10/100 and 10/100 + SCSI SBUS cards, if interested, contact me off-list... Postage will exceed the price of the card.

>the machine has a ross hypersparc 150mhs cpu, 512mb ram, and a fast,
>cool-running 4gig modern 50 pin hard drive in it, and could probably take
>another such without overheating. i hate to give up on it.

<plug type-shameless>
   Wouldn't you rather just upgrade to an Ultra 2?
</plug>

Lionel