[rescue] x86 power question

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 27 05:10:50 CST 2006

Bryan Gurney wrote:
> As for me, I have a 7900GT in my Athlon 64 X2 3800+.  It's pretty solid; I
> haven't had a freeze-up in a while.
>
> I did have a 7800 GT from XFX from when I first built the system back in
> December 2005, but I ran into this nagging freeze-up that would occur
> either after 45 to 90 minutes of Doom 3 or Quake 4, or reliably after 5
> minutes of Lost Coast.  The temperature sensor in the desk.cpl (Display
> Properties) control panel applet snap-in seemed to read a bit high (in the
> low 70 degrees C range) during a run of Doom 3, and it spiked in the high
> 70's in Lost Coast.  It's irritating to have a card that can do HDR, but
> freezes up when trying to play a game that demonstrates HDR.  I lived with
> it for a little bit, until May, when I decided to roll the dice by buying
> a 7900 GT (I had performed successful test runs of Memtest86+ and two
> instances of Prime95 to isolate the videocard as the culprit).  Haven't
> had a freeze-up since.
>
> I still have that 7800 GT kicking around, but I haven't used it because
> this box is the only one in the house with PCI-Express.  It does 2D and
> regular 3D just fine, but that "dying after 5 minutes of HDR" thing gets
> to me.

I'm still running a 6800XT myself ... it does the job, but I do have
unresolved stability issues, and I don't know for certain whether
they're in the card or the rest of the system (it *is* my first PCI
Express box).

At least I've gotten away from the terrible, near-constant lockups of
the LeadTek 6600 card I was using before that.  I still strongly suspect
the thing had memory leaks in the firmware.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location