[rescue] DSL Modem question, is it worth getting a Cisco?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Nov 27 04:28:18 CST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:43:47PM -0600, Chad McAuley wrote:
> I did have some problems at first because I had
> it running in "half-bridge" mode, with the modem doing PPPoE and the router
> doing everything else (connection would die during large[0] file transfers),
> but once I fixed that everything has been just fine.

I've had mine doing that (modem doing PPPoE, router doing everything else)
and not had a single problem.  Did you upgrade the firmware on the modem?

http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/subscriber_networks/upg-firmware.shtml

I've had both the 5100B and the 4100; the 4100 seems to be be the better
of the two.  I also get better transfer rates when the modem does PPPoE
rather than the router.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford