[rescue] DSL Modem question, is it worth getting a Cisco?

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:43:47 CST 2006

On 11/26/06, Peter Porter <peter at brightavenue.com> wrote:

> Somewhat unrelated to the topic of rescue, but I'm hoping someone can
> offer some advice anyway (and these modems seems harder to come by, so
> maybe it is rescue... hmm...)
>
> I have Qwest ADSL service in Colorado with an Actiontec 701-WG modem
> with a block of static IP's.  I've had pretty reliable issues with
> needing to hard reset the modem once or twice a week and high enough
> packet loss to make VOIP irritating at times.  I'm wondering if anyone
> has experience with other perhaps more reliable ADSL modems.  I've seen
> a few from Cisco that look promising (a consumer 678 and higher end
> 827/837), but don't really want to throw my money away on something that
> may not be particularly better than what I have.  Also, it seems
> impossibly difficult to find straightforward information on ADSL
> hardware...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these or otherwise helpful
> knowledge?  I'd greatly appreciate it!

I haven't had any problems with my (SBC provided) Siemens SpeedStream 4100
modem, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it.  I've just got it handling
the DSL connection and then my little Trendnet router behind it handling the
PPPoE and NAT and whatnot.  I did have some problems at first because I had
it running in "half-bridge" mode, with the modem doing PPPoE and the router
doing everything else (connection would die during large[0] file transfers),
but once I fixed that everything has been just fine.