[rescue] Blastwave

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Tue Mar 21 11:03:48 CST 2006

gw wrote:
> @Mike
>
> I have used sunfreeware for about 5 years and have been satisfied. However, at
> home for about a year I used Debian linux and was impressed with the apt-get
> package handler. Based on that I am willing to give Blastwave a try. So here are
> my questions:
>
>  1) What pain am I asking for when jumping into the middle of Blastwave when I
> have so many packages already installed and

What I've done is decide which Sun applications I want to keep (SUNWxxxx
packages in /var/sadm/pkg) and which ones I want to replace with
blastwave. For example, I replace Sun's Apache with blastwave Apache.
Sun's patches will take care of their own packages, and blastwave's
pkg-get will take care of its own packages.

>  2) is there any downside if I decide after a bit that Blastwave is not for me
> and wish to resume my old ways?

Not that I can see. It's just a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling,
just like anything else.

> I guess it boils down to, "can I try out Blastwave with out getting blasted?"
>
> George Wyche

Definitely - try it out with something that neither Sun nor sunfreeware
provides, and if you don't like it just pkgrm all of the CSWxxxx packages.

- Mike