[rescue] Putting an insecure machine on a network

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Tue Mar 21 08:42:06 CST 2006

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Here goes -- this should cover everything you need, but some
>> of these may not be absolutely necessary:
>>
>>   SUNWarc, SUNWbtool, SUNWcpp, SUNWhea, SUNWlibC, SUNWlibCf,
>>   SUNWlibm, SUNWlibmr, SUNWlibms, SUNWsprot, and SUNWtoo
>>
>> These packages (and a few others) are what I typically add to
>> a Solaris core install, along with Blastwave gcc, to get a
>> system that can at least compile IPFilter.
>>
>    Yeah, I believe that's the list.
>

>> By the way, I'd _highly_ recommend looking at
>> blastwave for packages instead of sunfreeware.
>>
>    Why, if I might ask? I tried setting it up twice, and I recall that I

Sunfreeware seems to have a limited and somewhat outdated set of
packages. Blastwave has a much more comprehensive set of packages and is
frequently updated. Plus, Blastwave has a package manager (sunfreeware
doesn't) which resolves dependencies and automates updates. It's
essentially an "apt-get" clone.
> got caqught in some loop of dependencies: needing a particular Blastwave
> package (text-something?) installed before I could install the main
> pkg-get package, or some such.

Well, if you don't have GPG or textutils (I think?) installed, pkg-get
can't verify the package signatures, so it complains, but happily proceeds.
>    I'm all for rolling my own, but when someone has created such a great
> sysytem and it's served me well, I'm loathe to abandon it (except for
> things like Samba or Nagios).

I'd really recommend giving Blastwave another shot. I've been using it
for a couple years now, and it's been nearly trouble-free.