[rescue] Putting an insecure machine on a network

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Mar 21 07:52:12 CST 2006

Mike wrote:

> Here goes -- this should cover everything you need, but some
> of these may not be absolutely necessary:
>
>   SUNWarc, SUNWbtool, SUNWcpp, SUNWhea, SUNWlibC, SUNWlibCf,
>   SUNWlibm, SUNWlibmr, SUNWlibms, SUNWsprot, and SUNWtoo
>
> These packages (and a few others) are what I typically add to
> a Solaris core install, along with Blastwave gcc, to get a
> system that can at least compile IPFilter.

   Yeah, I believe that's the list.

> By the way, I'd _highly_ recommend looking at
> blastwave for packages instead of sunfreeware.

   Why, if I might ask? I tried setting it up twice, and I recall that I
got caqught in some loop of dependencies: needing a particular Blastwave
package (text-something?) installed before I could install the main
pkg-get package, or some such.

   I'm all for rolling my own, but when someone has created such a great
sysytem and it's served me well, I'm loathe to abandon it (except for
things like Samba or Nagios).

   Thanks for your thoughts.
-wde
--