[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jun 30 21:36:01 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 02:37:24PM -0700, Don Y wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
>> On 6/30/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net>wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't decided if I should PITY or ENVY the post-PC generations;
>>> they're not as married to the idea of a physical bound book so
>>> will not be burdened (as much) trying to hold on to physical
>>> books.  OTOH, they probably will never get the same sort of
>>> "connection" that comes from holding a book and reading it
>>> (without sitting bolt upright in front of a computer monitor,
>>> etc.)
>>
>> There are some books that I want in physical form and some that are
>> better off being on the computer in the first place, like O'Reilly
>> Nutshell guides and similar.  For instance, since I've been working on
>> my shell-scripting fu a lot in the last six months or so, I find my
>> most used shell reference is one I can get to from the web.
>
> Understood.  I argued with myself for a long time about whether
> to keep print copies of my development journals or do it all
> electronically.  Finally opted on the paper approach even though
> it is harder to search through them, etc.  But, infinitely
> more comfortable making notes, sketches, etc.

An early .sig tagline I liked was 'you can't grep dead trees'

I've tried a few different e-books, didn't really like it.  For real
reading, I prefer the physical paper versions.  For tech stuff, I
like having both.  One I can write in an highlight and stuff and the
electronic version I can quickly grep/otherwise search through.

> And, the feel of turning pages is something sorely missing
> from an electronic implementation.
>
>> Oddly enough, since having a device that is high enough resolution to
>> read "ebooks" on, I actually think I read faster that way.  I think it
>> has to do with the narrower line length, but haven't done any
>> empirical checks to verify.  It may also have to do with the fact that
>> most paperbacks are not as high of contrast as ebook screens, since I
>> know that my eyesight has deteriorated somewhat in the last couple of
>> years.  I wear "cheaters" part of the time, but don't need them enough
>> to remember to keep them with me all the time.
>
> For me, the effect is the opposite.  I find it harder to read
> an electronic display.  I can tolerate a god B&W monitor
> but find things like LCD's make it look like I am looking through
> lots of ice crystals (!)  (hard to explain the visual appearance)

I actually do not like these new highly-reflective LCDs that they seem
to be putting on the new high-end laptop and whatnot.  My favorite LCD
is still the 800x600 unit in my Sparcbook.  For my 'big' computers, I
still use good, old-fashioned CRTs.  But that's another holy-war.

>> The one advantage to having ebooks is that I don't worry about taking
>> enough reading along so as not to get bored when I travel--I just keep
>> a folder of stuff on the SD card in the PDA.
>
> Yup.  In my case, I carry two books when traveling -- one for the
> outbound flight and another for the return.  I don't read after
> arriving, etc.  (other things to do)

I don't like flying, so I try and sleep through it.  I used to read, but
I couldn't ever concentrate on it.  Not a fear, just very uncomfortable,
but I can seem to sleep just about anywhere, guess the Army taught me
that.

>> As for "proper" libraries...yes, me too.  And it needs about a
>> half-dozen different chairs/chaises/couches so there's always
>> something that fits your mood for how you want to sit/recline while
>> reading.
>
> I'm not fond of reading in libraries.  It's just not where
> I want to be when I am "recreating"  :> Also, I rarely
> sit and read a book cover to cover so I'd prefer having
> it where I decide it would be most appropriate to "consume"
> ("imbibe"?  :>)

I think she was refering to the proper library that I mentioned before,
a dedicated room in the house where all the books would live.  There she
would have comfortable reading chairs of various types.  I agree.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org