[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Fri Jun 30 21:04:33 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
>> Here in Tucson, "Bookman's" is a sizeable place.  Each branch
>> is almost as large as a Borders, or Barnes&Noble.  Years ago,
>> they were a bargain -- 50c to $1 for paperbacks.
>>
>> But, they "got successful" and now charge $2-$3 for a 30 year
>> old paperback (that has an original published price of 45c)
>> in ratty condition.  <frown>
>
> I guess there aren't many people that buy on-line in Tucson, then.

I think a good part of it is the local university's proximity
to the original store.  People can bring in books for "credit",
etc.  Of course, you can't use that credit anyplace else so...
:>

> Amazon and the other big used book aggregators are putting a lot of
> those places out of business.  Hubby still frequents them for the
> "immediate gratification" aspect and swapping.  I don't dare encourage
> him to use Amazon, or the bank would be busted. :-)

It also depends on what you are looking for.  I used to buy
lots of 50's 60's sci-fi.  Hard to find titles, etc.
You also don't always *know* what books exist without
seeing them on a shelf.