[rescue] imaging old Mac double density floppy disks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 19 14:35:11 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:24:24PM -0400, kevin wrote:
> Someone told me that the old Macintosh DD floppy drives (not the
> SuperDrives of days past) were "special" and that it was not
> possible to read older Mac formatted DD floppies using a PC
> floppy drive.  Anyone know if there is any validity to this?  I
> thought that none of that would be relevant if i was using dd
> (i'm not mounting the disks, just trying to image them).

They are correct. The bit encoding is completely different, and the
drive uses a variable speed motor to keep the sector sizes the same.

It's not that the data is formated differently, the data is ENCODED
differently.

> Any ideas?

Buy a Mac with a 680x0 processor and ethernet. Use MacOS 7 or 7.5
(both downloadable) and Apple's Diskcopy (also downloadable) to make the
images. Then you can archive 400k (single sided) and 800k (double sided)
disks.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838