[rescue] Strange behavior from framebuffer

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Jun 15 09:18:56 CDT 2006

Thus spake Lionel Peterson:

> Well, the actual behavior I would expect would be "keyboard not found,
> redirecting output to Serial port" to be displayed on the framebuffer, and
> it shouldn't "lock up" the monitor like this did - I had to unplug my
> known-good monitor from the wall to have it reset and accept input... Once
> it "locked up" I couldn't even use the "soft" power switch to turn it on
> or off it got so wedged...

In the past what I've experienced is that it won't even power the
framebuffer if there's no keyboard.  But that may just be my personal
weirdness kicking in.  I've never had one "wedge" the monitor though -
that's something new.

> I noticed when I turned the box over, this is a 13 year old system -
> sheesh! I think it has been idle for over three or four years...

Dead NVRAM!  PIA. :-(   (0)

Don't know where you're going to get a replacement but these guys might know:

http://mxsun.stores.yahoo.net/axil.html

Mike Hebel
(0) I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to use a battery to
hold the MAC address and hostid of the machine but he should be found and
flogged with an ethernet cable that has 25 Windows Vista Beta CDs tied to
it.
----
"It sticks to your mouth like library paste, has a stronger kick than
toxic waste, there's nothing that you'll ever taste like 307 Ale!" - Tom
Smith - 307 Ale