[rescue] Blade 100

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 15:57:54 CDT 2006

On 6/13/06, Brian Howe <bwhowe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've done both and neither one is great. The upgrade path may not clear out
> wonky configs, whereas the rebuild path requires data backup/restore and
> application reinstalation.
>
> My personal choice is the latter. It winds up cleaner in the end.

I didn't have this prob. with Gentoo on the Sparc, so I am going that
route at the moment.  I may end up going back to Kubuntu, we'll see.
With servers, the removal of X* (be it org or Free86) really makes it
so much easier to deal with.

I've gotten into the habit of making /home a separate partition, that
way if you have to blow away the OS, it's less of a hassle.
Sadly...it feels like *cough* Windohs.

I wouldn't even want to try to wrestle this thing into submission with
FreeBSD or similar, but maybe I am being too pessimistic (Compaq
nc6000, fscking CIT "confiscated" my HP 6000 which was a much nicer
laptop, because they were PO'd that I'd, uh, "fixed" it, so I could
dual boot Linux and Windows).

As for Phil's comments about Xorg config scripts...I have to agree,
though they seem to be marginally better than XFree was...at least
there's (generally) useful info in the logs.

=Nadine=