[rescue] Blade 100

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 12 07:37:06 CDT 2006

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: Sun Jun 11 22:42:27 CDT 2006
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Blade 100

>On 6/11/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Lionel wrote:
>>performance >will improve vastly. (I recently bought an Ultra 30 on
>eBay for $30 simply because it >had a 300 MHz CPU, 2x UPA
>framebuffers, and a Sun SCSI card installed. I am going >to strip it
>down for the parts and put to gether a minimal system from my left
>overs.) >120 Gig HDs are easily found for $30-60 after rebate on
>almost any weekend - they are >fine, but don't rely on them for a
>"massive" speed increase - it will be a nice little >"bump" up in
>performance...
>
>I think I'll just have Lionel be my eBay proxy buyer, he seems to
>always find the good stuff. :-)

Well thanks, but my greatest weapon for finding bargains is that I don't need anything, so I am able to jump on a good deal when I see it. The U30 was a machine with no CD-ROM drive, and the buyer didn't know that the framebuffers and SCSI card were worth calling out in the description. My leap of faith was the trust that the photos were of the actual item...

I wanted the U30 to bring a "dead" U30 back to life - I think the MB is bad, as I've swapped every other item in the system with known good parts and still it wouldn't boot. In my mind, this cheap U30 got me:

 - 2x UPA Framebufferes (Elite 3D-m3)
 - PCI SCSI controller
 - another 300 MHz CPU (x1195a?)
 - an SCA drive in drive sled
 - 4x 128 Meg DIMMs
 - 4x 32 Meg DIMMs
 - good motherboard
 - good power supply
 - spare case parts

All for the princely sum of $29.95 + $25 S/H (if I remember correctly) - had I been looking for a replacement MB, it would have been $20+, and then shipping another $10-15...

Lionel