[rescue] FS: Long SCSI cables (EMC/Sun), RusselStoll Power

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 2 08:45:04 CDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:31:51 -0400, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:

> Hello, I have 3 of these Sun SCSI cables that are fairly long. They are 68
> pin male to that ... the small connector found on many higher end SCSI
> cards. Name escapes me, I've been away from that stuff too long. It's a
> mini Centronics looking thing used on the SGI XIO scsi cards that are
> quad connector, some Compaq Smartarray, some Sun cards... Prob LVD.
> Definitly differential given the length.

VHDCI.  It's great for connecting external stuff because you can plug 2 or even 4 SCSI devices into one card (the Compaq/HP SmartArray controller has 4 VHDCI ports; now that's a lot of StorageWorks shelves).  Most of the VHDCI cables have a head that is tilted a little so you can plug in four connectors, bottom-to-bottom.  I'm pretty sure it's LVD, but be sure to check the SCSI icon just in case.

I know that the Sun Fire V240 has a VHDCI connector for its external SCSI connectivity.  I just wish that I had a V240. :-)