[rescue] NeWS

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Feb 21 18:13:55 CST 2006

Thu, 02 Feb 2006 @ 09:59 -0700, Richard said:

> I think it would be more fair to say that the marketplace chose price
> as the overriding goal for software and hardware.

I don't think they choose price, because their long term costs are
higher than if they made better choices.

Maybe what you really should say is they choose low short term or
immediate costs without regard for the long term.

> For a long time now the industry mantra has been "price performance
> ratios" as the measure of "goodness". However, now that most hardware
> has acceptable performance for most problems, people are starting
> to ask themselves if price/performance is the best metric by which
> everything should be judged.

That's very good, because I see the exact opposite and have for years.

I think they abandoned price/performance a long time ago, because
they've been throwing hardware at problems and saying the hell with
performance (as well as reliability) for years now.

To me they are choosing features and speed-of-coding, and low immediate
costs.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]