[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Tue Dec 19 19:21:44 CST 2006

>Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:40:04 -0500
>From: Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance
>	vs. old PeeCee
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
>Solaris 10 hates me.  This is my second DVD, different media, burned
>from a fresh download with good md5sums and burned from a completely
>different workstation/burner.
>
>Identical result.
>
>{0} ok boot cdrom
>Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
>Bad magic number in disk label
>Can't open disk label package
>
>Can't open boot device
>
>{0} ok

Hey,

Sorry, I've only been half following along here.... forgive me if someone
mentioned this already.....

IIRC, the some of the DVD drives in E250s were in need of a microcode upgrade.

Try the below link if you have a Toshiba 1401. I think you can determine if you
do by doing:
# iostat -E | grep DVD

The output will look like this:
Vendor: TOSHIBA Product: DVD-ROM SD-M1401 Revision: 1009 Serial No:

This should be public access sunsolve.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=urn:cds:docid:1-21-111649-04-1

There may have been other mfgrs that were in need of an upgrade... YMMV

/M