[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Mon Dec 18 10:41:21 CST 2006

Magnus wrote:

> I have space, but I have some fairly wicked SCSI disks that I'd rather
> see fully realize their potential.  What I'd most like to do is put in a
> Sun-friendly SCSI card (I have none) that will fully exploit my hard
> disks' potential. i.e. use the internal disks & backplane, preferably
> with a better controller.

I think someone earlier in the thread suggested that the SCSI controller
in the E250 was good for up to 40MB/sec.  I am looking at Sun's page on
the E250 at http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/250/index.html which
describes the controller as "Ultra SCSI" and at
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/scsi/modesUltra.html
which describes "Ultra SCSI" as "20 MHz bus speed; 20 MB/s" so I am
indeed maxing out the controller.

There is a great summary at
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/scsi/summary.html of
the myriad flavors of SCSI. I knew that SCSI had gotten convoluted over
the years but now I'm going to need to go back and see just what
standards my drives are capable of and try to find a decent match.