[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sat Dec 16 18:24:40 CST 2006

Bryan Gurney wrote:

> What's the CD-ROM drive in there?  Stock?

If it's not stock, it's a good fake.  It is a DVD-ROM that perfectly
matches the front panel color.

 > I haven't had much luck for
> rescued Suns with stock Toshiba CD-ROM drives; either the tray is
> grinding, or the CD-ROM drive sometimes stops reading stuff.  I replaced
> the CD-ROM drives in my U2, U5, and U60 with something else (Plextor SCSI
> or Lite-ON IDE).

Do these things even have an IDE controller on them?

I did replace the CD-ROM on my Ultra 5 with a DVD/CD-R combo drive which
worked great.  But it did not like the Adaptec SCSI card at all. :-/
Trying to cure the Ultra 5 of its major shortcoming using only the parts
I've got at my disposal (i.e. if I was going to spend any $$$ I'd just
buy an Ultra 60 and be done with it)