[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 16 18:16:04 CST 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:28:07 -0500, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:

> OK well I have a better idea of what's in it now.  2x400MHz procs, 1GB
> RAM (i.e. half the banks are empty), 1x72GB 15,000 RPM IBM drive (i.e.
> no Sun disk label).
>
> I have to check md5sums on my Solaris 10 DVD ISO or something because
> this box refuses to even try and boot off of the CD that I burned.  So I
> don't have any time with Solaris on this box yet.

What's the CD-ROM drive in there?  Stock?  I haven't had much luck for
rescued Suns with stock Toshiba CD-ROM drives; either the tray is
grinding, or the CD-ROM drive sometimes stops reading stuff.  I replaced
the CD-ROM drives in my U2, U5, and U60 with something else (Plextor SCSI
or Lite-ON IDE).