[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Dec 8 13:08:09 CST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:50:51 -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Mike Meredith writes ...
> > At that time Aston-Martin were still doing speed tests on the M1
> > motorway which probably helped to push forward the introduction of
> > the 70mph limit.
>
> Yeah, but how long did it take the Bobbies to get cars that could
> catch up with an Aston going flat out?

You're forgetting that with the standard issue brass-plated telescope
that was used to read number plates of speeders (I'm joking).

We could be surprised ... whilst we have the impression that older UK
police cars were all the low end models that could have trouble keeping
up with an energetic bicyclist, they do have a history of using some
surprisingly fast cars. Part of this may be because before the police
started using astonishingly garish colours from the 1970s onwards, only
local patrol cars would be distinctively coloured.

For instance, the Jaguar mkII and old Jaguar S-types were
extensively used by the UK police, commonly finding themselves chasing
another mkII/S-type (the same model was favoured by bank robbers in the
60s). Whilst not as fast as the Aston-Martin (140mph), the
production mkII (125mph) wasn't a slouch, and county forces along the
M1 may well have gotten something a touch faster.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"