[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Dec 7 16:50:51 CST 2006

Mike Meredith writes ...

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:34:46 -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > In the distant and less-environmentally-sensitive past, Aston-Martin
> > advertisements used to feature a 0-100-0 [MPH] time.  IIRC, it was
> > about 11 seconds when the DB4 was turning into the DB5, circa 1963.
>
> At that time Aston-Martin were still doing speed tests on the M1
> motorway which probably helped to push forward the introduction of the
> 70mph limit.

Yeah, but how long did it take the Bobbies to get cars that could catch up
with an Aston going flat out?

I haven't been to the UK in, ummmm, 8 years, I think, but I don't remember
folks actually paying much attention to the 70 MPH (or whatever) limit on
the motorways the last time I was there.  There would be a bunch of trucks
going about 60 in the slow lane, along with the odd 2CV, Volvo-badged-DAF,
and other old bangers, but the folks in the fast lane seemed to stick right
around 90.

Long ago, I was riding my bicycle from Harrogate to York, on fairly small
lanes.  I had all day, and it wasn't raining, so I was just pottering along.
I was just past Cowthorpe when I heard some multi-cylinder yowl far behind
me; by the time I could move my head to look over my shoulder something low,
flat, fast and _very_ red zoomed past and disappeared around a bend.  He was
quite careful.  He was completely on the other side of the road when he
passed me, so I wasn't inconvenienced in the least.  In fact, I got a
noticeable, if short-lived, speed boost from his slipstream.

He came back a few minutes later, just before I reached Tockwith.  He was
going no slower, but I could see the Cavallino on the hood this time.  He
must have travelled that road at that speed often; he gave me a very
friendly and practiced wave as he flashed past.

-Shel