[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Fri Dec 8 10:23:29 CST 2006

Sandwich Maker writes ...

> following aston, one of the factory race team drivers posted a sub-10s
> 0-100-0 in a shelby 427 cobra.

I assume at least some list readers know about the "Hundred Dollar Bill
Trick" that was pioneered by 427 Cobra drivers.  This was back when US$100
was real money, and a 427 Cobra out of the showroom was about $10,000....

Take a couple of big rubber bands, put them aound the passenger's sun visor
in your 427 Cobra.  Flip the visor down and put the $100 bill under the
rubber bands, flat against the visor.  Leave the visor down.

Start the car.  Be sure you have an open road in front of you.  Straight is
nice, but gentle curves are OK.

Tell the passenger "I will now demonstrate some physics, in particular,
acceleration.  When I drop the clutch, you try to take the $100 bill off the
visor.  Just reach up and take it.  If you can do that before I shift, you
can keep it."

Then you launch.

-Shel

PS:  This worked very well in a real, but stock, 427 Cobra.  In a "tuned"
one it would work through second gear, too.  It doesn't work quite so well
in some of the modern reproductions, as they are somewhat heavier, and don't
have the initial 'snap' off the line the original had.

PPS:  You could probably have made a living at this in the sixties, if you
could have made it a 1:1 bet, and had a good supply of suckers.

PPPS:  If the passenger looks faint-hearted or easily frightened, and you
value your upholstery (and you should, since an original car is now worth
about 300 large), make him sit on a towel.