[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:23:50 CST 2006

On 12/4/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:10:37AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Mon, 04 Dec 2006 @ 08:31 -0500, John Francini said:
> > > However, the "cost" of power-saver mode is that the printer takes a
> > > couple of minutes to warm up--not as much time as it takes when it
> > Not on a good modern laser.
> > They use instant-on fusers.
>
> It's not quite instant-on, but my Samsung ML2010 (also sold as Dell's
> low-end $100 mono laser) takes about 20-30 seconds from "cold" to
> "printing".  Not bad for a printer that I got on-sale for $65.

I've always been wary of cheap printers. In order, I've had a NEC 870, an
Epson C-series, and an HP Business Inkjet. All have gone out the window
(literally in two cases) for paper jams or other problems which get in the
way of getting my work done. My Color Laserjet has been flawless, and the
build quality is incredible. I've never had a single jam or glitch with this
unit, but it is a beast. I thought I'd downsize because of power for B&W
prints, so I headed out an found a used HP LaserJet 1100 this morning.
Brought it home, realized it needed new rollers, opened it up, and within
thirty minutes became frustrated by how poorly everything fit together and
how braindead the maintenence access way that I ended up punching it several
times, kicking it down the stairs and stomping on it.

Looks like I'll continue paying higher power bills. I'm tempted by the deals
these days on the 3550s with the instant-on fusers though.

-- Aaron FInley