[rescue] Bad UPS II: The Sad Mac

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 30 11:58:49 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:55, Steve Haavik wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Something I have observed of all of them: years ago only USPS would
> > leave a package if you were not home.  FEDEX and UPS always left a note
> > saying they would try again.
> >
> > Now UPS and FEDEX *never* leave a note, they just leave the package.
> >
> > Anyone else notice that?

Yup.  The reason is that UPS and FedEx have your route serviced by a guy who buys the truck and the route is his own business - he is paid on a per-piece basis or a per-route basis in most cases, so having to wait around for you means he can't deliver as many packages in a day and/or finish his route in time.

> The difference might be that I'm on the 3rd floor of a condo and I think
> they have rules about that and most of what I get delivered requires a
> signature in person so I can't just sign the slip and have them leave it
> for me.

They ignored the signature required checkbox, at least on the one box I Fedex'ed.

--Patrick