[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Sep 24 05:18:27 CDT 2005

Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
[...]
> I've now spent the past three days working on Objective C. For years
> I was sure I'd love it because it sounded so nice and clean, but now
> that I'm using it, I find that I don't like the syntax. Drat. Maybe
> it will start to grow on me eventually. I can only hope.

There's also the separate construction and initialisation steps for
objects, and manually freeing memory. Type and name checking is
generally deferred until run time, and you'll usually not get a
helpful error message when this happens. The nineteen-eighties called,
and they want their programming language back.

About the only reason Objective C is still around not a historical
warning of what not to do when designing a language is because Apple
didn't fancy re-implementing NextStep in C++ when they turned it into
Cocoa.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j