[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 23 22:05:40 CDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Well, have a look at Objective-C then.  Or LISP?
>
> I've now spent the past three days working on Objective C.  For years
> I was sure I'd love it because it sounded so nice and clean, but now
> that I'm using it, I find that I don't like the syntax.  Drat.  Maybe
> it will start to grow on me eventually.  I can only hope.

I had the exact same before-and-after experience.  I especially loathe
how so many ObjC proponents say "There's only one change to the syntax!
[receiver msg]"  Yeah, right.  Because C has @keywords and -member and
+member and named parameters at call time and default values for omitted
arguments and interface/implementation sections, but the rest of the
world just never saw them before.  Sure...

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "When we are young, wandering the face of the
Elgin, TX          (    earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth,