[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 23 22:07:09 CDT 2005

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 02:55:15PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>>languages, and reasons for using compiled ones.  Just try writing your
>>OS in an interpreted language, say, or the interpreter for the language.
>

> I'm under the impression that lots of people have written interpreted
> languages in other interpreted languages.  I know that lisp now is
> compiled, but was it being compile when the first schemes were being
> written in lisp?

Oh, sure, you can write an interpreted language interpreter in an
interpreted language .... but NOT in the same one.  Try writing a Perl
interpeter in Perl, or a lisp interpreter in lisp.  You have to run the
interpreter to interpret the code in order to run the interpreter to
interpret the code to run the interpreter to interpret the code to run
the interpreter to interpret the code to run the interpreter to
interpret the code to run the interpreter to interpret the code ....

...hey, you're right, it's perfect for Lisp!  ;)

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518