[rescue] Obtaining Mac OS 9 Question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Sep 23 13:24:12 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 11:47, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:01:16AM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> >
> >>   Really? I've never heard of those coupons being used for *anything*
> >>going back years. I think they just keep putting them in the box to
> >>torture us.
> >>-wde
> >

> > I used one to get the 10.1 upgrade for a penny at Fry's.  Years ago.
>
> I could use a straight 9.2 CD myself, not to mention a copy of
> 10.something ... I still want to try to get OSX in this G3-ified Power
> Mac 7600 sometime.  Reportedly it should run right up to Tiger with
> XPostFacto, but I understand I have to have 9.2 on the machine first.

I have a 7500 with a G3 upgrade in it that I loaded Tiger onto...

Only one gotcha... if you get your startup set back to MacOS 9 by
resetting the PRAM, or the other key combo to tell it to boot
MacOS 9... you can't use MacOS 9's set startup to startup Tiger.
You have to use XPostFacto to get startup under tiger working again
(which means.... you have to keep a partition or drive with 9 and
XPostFacto on it if this happens... or not how to set the magic
values in the openboot....)

Also... have to format the drive with MacOS 9 or a certain 3rd
party utility... FWB HD Toolkit is not compatible...  I used
MacOS 9... it didn't care my drves were not Apple ROMed... (Guess
apple did away with that requirement at some point).

-- Curt