[rescue] FreeBSD SPARC

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Sep 19 10:46:12 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:22:32AM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Query - what's the current status of the SPARC port of FreeBSD - will
> it stand up as a production OS?
>
> All I want out of it is a customer facing web server, nothing fancy
> and certainly no X.
>
> Yes, I know - put the OS ON a box that was designed FOR the box.  I
> have my reasons, but comments welcome.

Sparc64 (4u only, no 32 bit CPUs supported) is considered a Tier 1 arch
with them, but is not quite as mature as x86 or alpha, but for the most
part, does work rather well.  My only experience with it was to install
it on a Netra (t1?), rebuild the kernel, and build some stuff out of
ports to make it a network monitoring host (mrtg, apache), but the
networking guys pulled it out of service once they got their Cisco Works
stuff going (not my call).

For the most part, it just felt like FreeBSD. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org