[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Sep 18 04:53:16 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:27:59AM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> A friend of mine in .au (he runs http://www.pldaniels.com/) had a V20Z
> donated by Sun so that he could ensure his mail scanner/content filter
> worked fine under Solaris 10. Quite a nice machine too - dual Opteron, 2GiB
> RAM, either one or two 73GiB drives. Still not quite sure how he wangled
> it, but if he could get a machine, I can't see why Sun won't donate one for
> SunHELP.

- I have no idea about whom to approach @ Sun.  All of my contacts are no
  longer with the company after their layoffs over the past year or so.

- It would be easier if SunHELP was a real legal entity, nonprofit, etc -
  but I don't have the time or money to set all of that up (and then do
  the maintenance and accounting/bookkeeping it involves).  I do have a
  "day job" that actually pays the bills and such. 8-)  Right now its
  legal status is "I run a website in my spare time".

- As the site *does* make a tiny bit of revenue (as I've mentioned before,
  it pays for itself and occasionally buys a load of groceries or a nice
  dinner for my wife), I can't see Sun donating equipment to a "commercial"
  outfit that would use it to generate revenue.

I'll just have to wait until V20zs start hitting the used market, and
see if I can get a vendor to donate or trade one for ads, then.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
K5WCB Houston, TX