[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Sep 17 16:29:19 CDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 04:38:42PM +0000, Peter wrote:
> That's appalling.

Yeah, but I dont have the money to replace the machine.  I'd love to
put a SunFire X2100 in its place, but one properly configured like I need
runs about $1400 (1G RAM + 80G HD + remote management card).

For most of the past few years, I've run SunHELP on machines that were donated
or traded for advertising.  The current machine was a donation/trade from a
vendor about a year and a half ago, and its the best one I've gotten so far.
Nobody's offered a V20Z or V210 yet. 8-)

I make a tiny amount of money from Google ads, enough to cover hosting and
bandwidth fees, and occasionally buy a load of groceries or take the wife
out to dinner in return for all of the time I spend working on the site.

Not enough to buy a new machine, though.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
K5WCB Houston, TX