[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sat Sep 17 11:48:23 CDT 2005

Skeezics Boondoggle declaims ...
[snip]
> Right now in that room I've got one Cisco 678 + 3548 switch, a 3com
> switch, a small hub, a 32-port serial concentrator, a 4-way
> SS20, two U1s, a U2, two 220Rs, two 420Rs, two 8-slot Andataco
> LVD SCSI trays, a NetApp F330, a NetApp F720, and a Sun L1000
> tape jukebox - plus the most badass German engineered 14"
> 1800CFM fan (two air changes/minute!) cooling it all.  That's
> not including the bench of desktop machines that I plan to
> move in there, or the NetApp F760 and the E4500 I plan to pull out of
> storage. :-)

... and not including all the other stuff in boxes, crates, and just sitting
around.

I've seen it.  It's amazing.  He has completely Gunga Dinned me; I can
barely keep an SGI Challenge L busy.

[snip]
> ... the job market here SUCKS DONKEY and I've decided
> to be a rock star instead ...

Heh.  BTDT, albeit in only a regional way.  The pay's OK, but medical
expenses can be high.  The fringe benefits are pretty good, but I expect it
helps if you're more nearly the same age as the audience.

Q:  What do you call a girl who likes to hang around with musicians?