[rescue] WTB: K6-2+ or K6-3+ (and/or K62-500/550)

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Sep 13 19:00:31 CDT 2005

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> I wonder if any 3rd party ATA cards that can do LBA48 would be seen
> by the PROM on a Raq ?  Unfortunately I'm thinking not...

Nope, because the MegaRAID's ROM contains code is built for standard PCs
with a standard BIOS.

A Cobalt machine is not a PC, thus it does not have a standard BIOS.

Can it be made to work? Yes, but you will need to roll a custom firmware
for it.

This will help alot to underthand the boot process of the x86-powered
Cobalt machines: http://cobalt.iceblink.org/rom/

> As for OS... thought I'd try the 550 one 1st... but I'm looking into
> others...  a BSD on it might be nice... I know NetBSD has support for
> the MIPS racks... wonder if NetBSD would install onto a Raq 3i?

Nope, the RaQ 3i is an x86 machine. No BSD will run on a x86-powered
Cobalt machine.

Your only option is Linux.

--

Phil Brutsche