[rescue] The even further adventures of a boy and his tadpole.

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Sep 7 10:02:26 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:40:39PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Having failed with OpenBSD, I followed the advice and assistance of the
> people on this list and instaled NetBSD 3.0 Beta on my tadpole 3gx.
>
> Unfortunately it was worse than NetBSD 2.0.2. The installer was better,
> at least I could read the screen and it went much smoother. However when
> I booted it I found the following problems:
>
> 1. The terminal emulation of the console was still bad, vi displayed the
>    wrong text. Maybe it's a vi problem?

What is your terminal-type set to (TERM env)?  It should be set to
"sun".  I recommend (after you make sure you term is set properly)
compiling screen and using that.  The screen program will make your term
emulation more vt100-ish.

> 2. My wifi card (original Orinoco) which sort of worked under OpenBSD
>    was not recognized at all by NetBSD.

Can't help you there, post to the netbsd/sparc list, someone might have
a pointer or be able to offer a patch to fix it.  All I know is my Prism
2.5 card works fine.

> 3. The X server crashed before starting up.

I don't think the server that ships with the official beta will work,
you probably need Michael MacAllan's compile of XFree86.  I've posted
links to his stuff before.

> Anyone have a copy of the Tadpole version of Solaris 7?

I've only got 2.5.1 and 2.6, sorry.  Dunno who was willing to shell out
the cash for that version as it came out after Sun started giving away 7
for free.

Go read the netbsd/sparc list archives, starting on Apr 7th, the thread
titled "More SPARCBOOK insanity" has lots of info.  Then later, Apr 12th,
he's got a bit on Sparcbook and XFree86.

But really, Michael MacAllen reads and posts to the netbsd/sparc mailing
list and he does offer fixes pretty quickly.  You're probably going to
get better help posting there than here.  Believe it or not, I think
you're almost there, just a couple of small nits to pick out.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org