[rescue] Difference between U5/10?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Oct 11 11:15:13 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 10:39, Bryan Gurney wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the UPA slot is on the board itself, and that the U10
> is the only case that's high enough to accept a UPA card in the case.
>  If you look at the rear of the U10 case, there's 5 PCI slots (IIRC)
> that are parallel to the motherboard plane (therefore coming off of a
> riser card), but there's one slot that's perpendicular to the
> motherboard plane (therefore directly off of the motherboard).  This
> slot is the UPA slot.
>
> So an Ultra 5 *COULD* take a UPA card, but only if you took out a
> hacksaw, or found a U10 case and PCI riser.

Hence, why I said 'if you had a U10 case'.  Also, a UPA card in an Ultra
5 (which is too tall to fit in the case) would block one of the slots
on the PCI riser, which is why I also said that you'd want an Ultra 10
riser card.

I didn't expect people to take a hack saw to their case so that they can
use the UPA slot.  It's a lot cheaper to find an old 300MHz (or broken)
Ultra 10, and swap in parts from a faster Ultra 5 (or just buy a fast
U10 and be done with it).

It's silly to try to hack the U5's case enough to fit a UPA graphics
card in it.  It'd make more sense even to find an old PC case that
fits, and make that work; at least it'd be tall enough for the UPA card
to actually fit in the case without sticking out the top.

Pat

Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org